The village of Medovo was forcibly named by the Greek government to
Mileon. It is about 27 kilometres northwest of Lerin on the ridge of
German mountain at 21 degrees 09 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 50
minutes latitude. It is 1,050 metres above sea level and about 9 square
kilometres in area.
The village is a small Macedonian settlement and borders to the north
with the village R'bi, to the northeast with the village German, to
the east with the German mountain and to the south with the village
Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 205 residents
lived in the village of Macedonian background. They were employed in
agriculture and raising livestock.
In the period 1946-49, the residents actively took part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 40 active fighters.
11 gave their lives.
1. Dimova Bogoja Arhonda
2. Karanfilova D Tronda
3. Lazhanov Joshe Tsvetko
4. Petsakov Mitre Goche
5. Petsakovska Kole Dosta
6. Sterjova Bogoja Nikolinka
7. Sterjova Bogoja Stoja
8. Sterjovski Bogoja - father and two daughters
9. Stefov Risto Jane
10. Stefova Vangel Olga
11. Stojanova Mitre Stoja
The details of the fallen fighters were obtained from Mitre Markovski
from Ahil, a front line fighter from 1941-49.
Of the fallen fighters who gave their young lives there were 4 men
and 7 women.
After the Greek Civil War, emigration and forced evictions from the
village, the number of residents fell significantly. In the census in
Greece in 1991 it was recorded that there were 2 residents in the village.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning