The village of Mateshnitsa was made to change its name by the Greek
government to Simos Ioanides. It is about 5 kilometres west of Lerin.
It is a settlement near the road between Lerin-Kostur at 21 degrees
21 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 46 minutes latitude and 820 metres
above sea level. It has an area of about 9 square kilometres.
The little village borders with the following settled places: to the
east with Lerin, to the south with Kalugeritsa, to the west with the
village Armensko, to the northwest with the Bela Voda mountain and to
the northeast it borders the village Kabasnitsa.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 there lived in the
village about 18-20 families who were of Macedonian background. The
residents were employed in agriculture and raising livestock.
During the Greek Civil War, the residents of the little village did
not actively take part in the organization of NOF and the armed forces
of DAG. Only one person took part and he died heroically.
1. Jankulov Trajan
After the Greek Civil War in 1949 and the forced emigration, the number
of residents rose. In the last official census in Greece in 1991 it
was recorded that the village had 267 residents.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning