The village of Papazhani was made to change its name by the Greek government
to Papajanis. It is about 10 kilometres southeast of Lerin. It is on
the Lerin plains at 21 degrees 30 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 50
minutes latitude. It is 632 metres above sea level and is about 8 kilometres
square in area.
The village borders with the following settled places: to the north
the village Sakulevo, to the east the village Vrbeni, to the southeast
Petorak and to the northwest it borders the village Gorno Kalenik. The
Eleshka River runs through the village and divides it in two. The rail
line Bitola-Lerin runs alongside the village.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War about 1,350 Macedonian residents
lived in the village. They were employed in agriculture, with few involved
in raising livestock, trades and other activities.
In the period 1946-49, the residents took little part in the organization
of NOF and even less in the armed forces of DAG led by KPG. They only
had about 4 and, unfortunately, all 4 died. In the Lerin prison, during
the time of the bloody battles another 3 patriots were sentenced to
death and shot.
1. Bakalot Risto
2. Gluvchev Todor
3. Dimov Done
4. Dinov S Gavre
5. Popov Zhivko
6. Stelov Trajan
7. Tsakle K Pando
After the Greek Civil War and emigration from and forced migration
to the village, the number of residents fell significantly. The census
in Greece in 1991 recorded that there are 912 residents in the village.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning