The village of Ljubetino was made to change its name by the Greek government
to Pedinon. It is a part of the Lerin region about 23 kilometres southeast
of Lerin and 9.5 kilometres southwest from the little town of Sorovich.
It is on the ridge of the mountain Radosh at 21 degrees 36 minutes longitude
and 40 degrees 39 minutes latitude and 600 metres above sea level. It
is about 12 square kilometres in area.
The village borders with the following settled places: to the west
with the villae Ajtos, to the northeast with the village Spantsi, to
the east with the village Guljantsi, to the southeast with the village
Gorno Novoselsko and to the south it borders with Dolno Nevoljani.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War about 370 residents lived in
the village. 95 per cent were of Macedonian background and the remaining
5 per cent were Greek-Madzhiri and Albanians.
The residents were employed in agriculture and raising livestock.
In the period 1946-49, the residents did not actively take part in
the organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG. They were afraid
because in the past 10 people had been captured from the village and
under false accusations had been sentenced to death and shot.
1. Kotankarov Trpche
2. Lazarov Klime
3. Lazarov Dimitraki
4. Lipitkov Krste
5. Lipitkov Dane
6. Paunov Jordan
7. Paunov Stefo
8. Pendov Stavre
9. Pendov Spiro'
10. Trpovski Risto
After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from the Lerin
region, the number of residents fell significantly in all villages except
Ljubetino. The 1991 census in Greece recorded that there were 554 residents
in the village.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning