The name of the village Kalugeritsa was forcibly changed by the Greek
government to Kalogeritsa. It is a part of the Lerin region. This small
village is called "The Kolibi" (The Huts) and is about 4 kilometres
southwest of Lerin at 21 degrees 21 minutes longitude and 40 degrees
45 minutes latitude. It is 1,218 metres above sea level and about 6
kilometres squared in area.
The little village borders to the west with the village Armensko, to
the north with the little village Mateshnitsa, to the east the village
Nevoljani and the town of Lerin.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War, in the little village there
were 18 houses with 18 families. It was settled by Macedonians. The
residents were employed in raising livestock and less with agriculture
with the main crop being potato.
In the period 1946-49, the residents of the village actively took part
in the organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than
20 active fighters. 7 gave their lives.
1. Kuslev Iljo
2. Malaganov Iljo
3. Mangov Stase
4. Mangov Stase Iljo
5. Mangov Stase Sime - father and sons
6. Shapkov Nase
7. Shatlev Mite
All of the fallen fighters heroically gave their young lives for the
centuries old ideals and freedom.
After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from the village
Kalugeritsa, the number of residents fell significantly. In the census
in Greece in 1991 it was recorded that there were 15 residents in the
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning